Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Mon October 7, 2013
Worley Becomes First Woman To Lead Ala. Democrats
Former Secretary of State Nancy Worley has been elected as the first female leader of the Alabama Democratic Party.
The State Democratic Executive Committee elected her as the party chair this weekend.
Worley spent the last five months as the interim chair after former Alabama Supreme Court Justice Mark Kennedy resigned to start a new political group.
Worley has been focused on finances. She says the party is now current on bills and is no longer in danger of being evicted from its Montgomery headquarters.
Now, she will work on candidate recruitment and getting ready for the 2014 elections.
Worley says her commitment is to serve through the end of Kennedy's term in August 2014. She's taking a wait-and-see attitude beyond that.
Politics & Government