Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu November 11, 2004
Woodlawn Students Honor Unrecognized Veterans
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Students in the Woodlawn High School Junior ROTC are remembering veterans this week. The student cadets spent months trying to track down the families of 63 veterans whose headstones were found in a shack at Greenwood Cemetery in Birmingham. The headstones were carved to commemorate the veterans' service in World War I. Students say the families are still not sure where the veterans' bodies are buried in the cemetery or how the stones were abandoned. But the markers have now been organized and placed together in one area of the cemetery. The students held a memorial service for the veterans Wednesday and placed a flag and rose on each marker.