Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Slain USA Student
Mon October 8, 2012
Witnesses Say Slain Ala. Student Appeared Intoxicated
Witnesses say a University of South Alabama student was screaming obscenities and talking about being on a "spiritual quest" shortly before campus police fatally shot him.
Two students who knew 18-year-old Gil Collar described him Monday as appearing intoxicated shortly before his death early Saturday.
The university says Collar was nude, acting erratically and challenging a police officer when the officer opened fire. A school statement makes no mention of Collar being armed.
South Alabama students Bronte Harber and Sarah Hay say Collar was partially disrobed and loud shortly before his death.
Hay says Collar was talking nonsensically about being on a "spiritual quest." Harber says Collar was wearing only his underwear and yelling obscenities near police headquarters, where the killing occurred.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.