Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri January 30, 2004
Weatherly Joins Parole Board
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Velinda A-J Weatherly of Forestdale has become the first black woman to serve on Alabama's parole board. Governor Bob Riley announced her appointment Thursday. The majority of the parole board's nominating committee favored Weatherly for the position. She has served as the parole board's director of training, media relations and legislation. She's calling her appointment the culmination of a career moving from the bottom to the top of the parole board. Weatherly begins serving immediately, but her appointment must gain approval from the state Senate.