Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon June 21, 2004
Wachovia Buys SouthTrust
By Alabama Public Radio
Charlotte, NC – Banking giant Wachovia will buy Birmingham-based competitor SouthTrust in a 14-point-three billion dollar deal. SouthTrust has 717 financial centers in nine states. The combination will create the largest bank in the southeastern United States. Officials say that will give Wachovia new leverage in the large Texas banking market...as well as in a number of other high-growth states. Wachovia is based in North Carolina. It's the nation's fourth largest bank with assets of 411 billion dollars.