Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed October 13, 2004
U.S. Supreme Court Considers Death Penalty
By Alabama Public Radio
Washington, DC – Alabama is among 19 states that allow capital punishment for 16 and 17 year olds. Now, the U-S Supreme Court is considering whether that's unconstitutionally cruel. Some justices have said the United States is out of step with the rest of the world on that issue. Earlier this year, a group including former president Jimmy Carter and 48 nations lobbied against executing inmates who committed their crimes before the age of 18. The court is expected to be divided on the issue.