Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu February 24, 2005
Uranium Shipment Arrives at Browns Ferry
By Alabama Public Radio
Athens, AL – The first shipment of commercial reactor fuel made from the government's stockpile of weapons-grade uranium has arrived at a Tennessee Valley Authority nuclear station in North Alabama. The shipment will be ready for loading this Spring at the Browns Ferry station near Athens. The delivery comes more than seven years after TVA struck a deal with the Department of Energy to put surplus Cold War weapons material to use generating electricity for TVA's residential and business customers.