Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu April 22, 2004
TVA Prepares for Nuclear Reactor Review
By Alabama Public Radio
Athens, AL – Tennessee Valley Authority officials are scheduled to meet with federal regulators next week. They'll discuss possible violations at the Browns Ferry nuclear reactor in Athens. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission reported the matter during a recent inspection. Investigators noticed some welds that were not repaired in a pool around the reactor. It's designed to catch the released steam in case of an accident. The violations must be resolved before the T-V-A restarts its Unit One reactor. The Tennessee Valley Authority wants to restart the reactor by 2007. It was shut down in 1985 because of safety concerns. Two reactors still operate at Browns Ferry.