Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue October 12, 2004
Tuskegee Airmen Anniversary Approaches
By Kerri Gentine, Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – In 1995, the HBO movie "The Tuskegee Airmen" spotlighted a group of soldiers who were historically some of the U.S. military's finest -- yet most overlooked. They were the first African-American pilots to serve in the military. The film told the story of these men and their distinguished record as pilots during World War Two. Next month, the Tuskegee Airmen will celebrate their 60th anniversary at a reunion in South Carolina. Alabama Public Radio's Kerri Gentine reports on some of the history associated with the group.