Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Mon September 9, 2013
Tourists Flock To Downton, England
Originally published on Mon September 9, 2013 6:25 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. An English village is getting an accidental tourism boost thanks to the hit British TV show "Downton Abbey.The show is set in a location that's fictional but that hasn't stopped American tourists from swarming Downton, England. The village has absolutely nothing to do with Lord Grantham or Lady Mary, nor does it have an abbey or a great house, which hasn't kept the local White Horse Pub from turning itself into an unofficial tourist office. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.