Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Thu June 17, 2004
Three Birmingham Officers Killed
By Alabama Public Radio
Ensley, AL – There was an outbreak of violence in Ensley today. Three Birmingham police officers have been shot and killed. Authorities have taken a 27-year-old suspect and four others into custody for questioning.
The three officers were trying to serve a warrant in the area when they came under fire from a person or persons believed to be armed with an assault rifle. Standard police issue bulletproof vests are not strong enough to stop bullets from that type of gun. A 6-block area was cordoned off as police conducted door-to-door searches.
The shooting occured in the 17-hundred block of 18th Street in Ensley. The names of the three officers killed have not been released.