Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon February 9, 2004
Supreme Court Voters Guide
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The League of Christian Voters wants to publish a new voters guide that asks about the religious preferences of candidates running for three vacant seats on the Alabama Supreme Court.
The League hopes to asks candidates a set of ten questions, including ... where they attend church, are they a born again Christian, and what actions they have taken on anti-abortion issues. A U-S- Supreme Court ruling in June 2002 gave judicial candidates greater leeway to talk about issues. League chairman Jim Zeigler says they are seeking a ruling on whether the questionnaire is permissible.
The Judicial Inquiry Commission's executive director Margaret Childers says the J-I-C typically issues opinions only when sitting judges ask about their own conduct.