Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri November 12, 2004
Steele Takes SCLC Lead
By Alabama Public Radio
Atlanta, AL – Former state Senator Charles Steele is the new president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. He takes control of an organization that has been dealing with some internal conflict, particularly concerns about the organization's direction. Steele has outlined a plan to get the group out of debt. The S-C-L-C owes 43-thousand dollars in state and federal taxes. He says the group will raise money from private and corporate donors because dues-paying membership has been declining. Steele also says the civil rights group will work against injustice around the world. He says the S-C-L-C will open offices in Italy and will establish conflict resolution centers around the world. Steele says the Israeli government has asked the organization to help in Middle East peace talks.