Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Fri September 3, 2004
State GOP Sending Volunteers to Florida
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – State Republican Party officials say they're confident that President Bush will carry Alabama, so they're planning to send volunteers to the battleground state of Florida. State GOP Chairman Marty Connors says the party plans to send two to 300 volunteers to turn out the vote in the final 72 hours of the campaign. The state Republican Party did the same thing four years ago. A new poll supports the GOP's confidence about Bush not needing help in Alabama. The poll shows Bush favored by 54 percent, John Kerry with 34 percent support, and nine percent of voters undecided. The statewide survey of almost 500 likely voters was conducted Monday and Tuesday by the Alabama Education Association's polling arm.