Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Business & Education
Fri January 4, 2013
S.S. Numbers Not Required to Play in Ala. District
Outdated extracurricular activity forms have been removed from two schools' websites in Autauga County after a civil rights organization complained they required students to provide Social Security numbers.
Autauga County Superintendent Spence Agee said Thursday students do not need to provide a Social Security number to participate in activities like football, cheerleading or band.
Earlier Thursday Southern Poverty Law Center Attorney Caren Short sent Agee a letter saying requiring Social Security numbers would violate the U.S. Constitution and ignore rules established by federal and state education officials. She says having the language on the forms would discourage immigrant children from participating.
Agee says the school system has never required Social Security numbers to participate in extracurricular activities.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.