Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Business & Education
Fri January 4, 2013
S.S. Numbers Not Required to Play in Ala. District
Outdated extracurricular activity forms have been removed from two schools' websites in Autauga County after a civil rights organization complained they required students to provide Social Security numbers.
Autauga County Superintendent Spence Agee said Thursday students do not need to provide a Social Security number to participate in activities like football, cheerleading or band.
Earlier Thursday Southern Poverty Law Center Attorney Caren Short sent Agee a letter saying requiring Social Security numbers would violate the U.S. Constitution and ignore rules established by federal and state education officials. She says having the language on the forms would discourage immigrant children from participating.
Agee says the school system has never required Social Security numbers to participate in extracurricular activities.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.