Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue May 4, 2004
Sowell Makes History as U.S. Senate Candidate
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Democratic U-S Senate candidate Wayne Sowell is now the only Democratic challenger to Republican incumbent Senator Richard Shelby. The state Democratic Party disqualified Johnny Swanson the Third as a candidate because he ran as an independent for the U-S- Senate in 2002. That violates Democratic Party rules. Now, Sowell will become the first black Alabamian to become a major party nominee to the U-S- Senate. He says he's happy about the historic designation. Sowell has previously campaigned unsuccessfully for Congress and the governor's office.