Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu May 20, 2004
Soldiers Expected to Return to U.S.
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Two Alabama Army National Guard units are expected to return to the United States this weekend. The 11-51st Engineer unit from Fort McClellan is scheduled to arrive at Fort Benning, Georgia Friday morning. The unit was attacked in an ambush on May first. Four soldiers received minor shrapnel and gunshot wounds. The 214th Military Police Company from Alexander City and Tuskegee is scheduled to arrive in two groups at Fort Benning on Saturday and Sunday. The unit was charged with protecting the battlefield, controlling crowds and traffic, and dealing with prisoners of war. That unit also spent about half a year operating a police training academy for some Iraqi citizens.