Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon June 18, 2012
Siegelman Backers Seek Pardon For Ex-Ala. Governor
Montgomery, AL – Some supporters of Don Siegelman want President Barack Obama to grant a pardon that would prevent the former Democratic Alabama governor from returning to prison for his 2006 bribery conviction.
Siegelman is currently out of prison on an appeal bond. But the U.S. Supreme Court recently rejected his appeal, and he may soon face a new sentencing by U.S. District Judge Mark Fuller of Montgomery.
Former Democratic Party executive committee member Pam Miles of Huntsville is now encouraging supporters to write Obama asking the president to pardon Siegelman. She operates an internet e-mail network for Siegelman's backers.
Miles says followers are pursuing all avenues to prove Sierelman's innocence. Miles says she ``can't bear the thought' of Siegelman returning to prison.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)