Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri August 27, 2004
Shelby Says Roberts Plan Worth Considering
By Alabama Public Radio
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Richard Shelby says he's open to considering a plan to break up the CIA and rearrange some of the Pentagon's spy agencies under one roof. But the Alabama Republican would not endorse the concept that Kansas Senator Pat Roberts proposed last week. Shelby is the former Intelligence Committee chairman. He called his successor's plan a bold proposal that should get serious consideration. Roberts wants to split the Central Intelligence Agency into three separate agencies and pull at least part of four defense intelligence agencies out of the Pentagon. Those would then be placed under the oversight of a new national intelligence service.