Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri April 16, 2004
Sexual Relations Bill Passes Senate
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The state Senate has given final approval to a bill that would make it a felony for corrections officers or other prison officials to have sexual relations with an inmate. The proposal now goes to Governor Bob Riley for his consideration. Representative Barbara Boyd has been pushing the bill for three years. She says Alabama is one of only four states that does not have such a law. She said the need was highlighted in 2001 when some parents complained their daughters were sexually abused at the Alabama Department of Youth Services' Chalkville campus. Several employees were fired and others quit during the investigation.