Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu September 18, 2003
Senate committee approves Ten Commandments bill
By Associated Press
Montgomery, AL – A state Senate committee approved a proposed constitutional amendment today that provides for the display of the Ten Commandments in state buildings, including public schools.
The bill cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee on a vote of five-to-nothing, but the bill's sponsor doubts it will pass in the current special session of the Legislature.
State Senator Gerald Dial says he expects the state budgets to occupy most of the time. And he predicts few other issues will come up for debate in the Senate.