Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon August 26, 2013
Senate budget chairmen want to keep their jobs
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The Alabama Senate's two budget committee chairmen want to stick around for another four years even though their House counterparts reached a different decision. The chairman of the Senate's General Fund budget committee, Republican Arthur Orr of Decatur, announced Monday that he will seek re-election in 2014. The chairman of the Senate education budget committee, Republican Trip Pittman of Montrose, announced in July that he would run for another four-year term. Their Republican counterparts in the House for the last three years, General Fund Chairman Jim Barton of Mobile and education budget Chairman Jay Love, resigned from their legislative positions this summer. Love is now finance chairman for the new Business Education Alliance of Alabama and Barton has joined a lobbying firm in Montgomery.