Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Special Election Set
Mon August 6, 2012
Schedule Set For Special Alabama House Election
Gov. Robert Bentley has called a special election to fill the Alabama House seat vacated when Rep. Blaine Galliher of Gadsden joined the administration.
Party primaries for the House District 30 seat will be held on Oct. 23, followed by any runoffs that are needed.
The general election will be either Dec. 11 or Jan. 29, 2013, depending on whether there's a runoff.
The district includes parts of Etowah and St. Clair counties.
Galliher held the seat until he resigned to become Bentley's new legislative director. Galliher served as chairman of the powerful House Rules Committee, which sets the work agenda for the House
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.