Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri August 13, 2004
Saraland Coaches May Undergo Background Checks, Drug Tests
By Alabama Public Radio
Saraland, AL – Youth sports coaches in Saraland may soon have to undergo criminal background checks and drug tests. The Saraland City Council is considering a measure that requires the checks. The move is partly in response to the arrest of the president of Chickasaw Dixie Youth Baseball in April. Charles Randolyn Poston was charged with rape, sodomy and sexual abuse of a minor. Councilman Sidney Butler is chairman of the council's parks and recreation committee. He says the proposal would focus on protecting the community's children. The council delayed the measure at its meeting Thursday because of unanswered questions, including the cost of the checks and tests. Drug tests can run between 45 and 60 dollars.