Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Fri April 20, 2012
Santorum's Ala. Delegates Will Unite With Nominee
Montgomery, AL – The winner of Alabama's Republican presidential primary, Rick Santorum, hasn't released his 22 Alabama delegates to support another candidate. But delegates say they expect to unite behind Mitt Romney if he locks up the GOP nomination.
Delegates said they don't want the party to get divided and lose sight of beating Democratic President Barack Obama in November.
Delegate Kenny Dean of Birmingham, who was Santorum's grass-roots coordinator in Alabama, said the most important thing is removing Obama from the White House.
Another Santorum delegate, former state party chairman Elbert Peters of Huntsville, said Republicans want to beat Obama, and Mitt Romney will be the option for doing that if he secures the GOP nomination.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)