Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
APR News Reports
Mon January 17, 2005
By Pam Doyle, Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – Recent census data indicate same sex couples are raising children in at least 96 percent of all counties in the nation. The South has the highest percentage of same-sex couples raising children, with 36 percent of female couples and about 24 percent of male partners doing so. The debate over gay marriage is still a prominent political and social issue. Alabama Public Radio's Pam Doyle spoke with one same-sex couple about their challenge of raising a seven-year-old boy and what marriage rights would mean to them.