Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
APR News Reports
Mon January 17, 2005
By Pam Doyle, Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – Recent census data indicate same sex couples are raising children in at least 96 percent of all counties in the nation. The South has the highest percentage of same-sex couples raising children, with 36 percent of female couples and about 24 percent of male partners doing so. The debate over gay marriage is still a prominent political and social issue. Alabama Public Radio's Pam Doyle spoke with one same-sex couple about their challenge of raising a seven-year-old boy and what marriage rights would mean to them.