Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon June 21, 2004
Riley Expected to Name Nabors as Chief Justice
By Associated Press
Montgomery, AL – Governor Bob Riley has scheduled a news conference for 11 A-M Tuesday to name a new chief justice to replace former Chief Justice Roy Moore.
Several public officials say they expect Riley to name his state finance director, Drayton Nabers, to the job.
Nabers joined Riley's Cabinet in January 2003. He previously served as CEO and board chairman of Protective Life Insurance Company in Birmingham.
Alabama's top judicial job came open in November when the Alabama Court of the Judiciary removed Moore from office for failing to obey a federal court order to remove his Ten Commandments monument from public display in the state judicial building.
Nabers will serve the two and one-half years remaining in Moore's term.