Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed August 11, 2004
Riley Creates Black Belt Commission
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Governor Bob Riley signed an executive order Wednesday to form a group that will search for ways to improve Alabama's Black Belt region. The move came almost a year and a half after he first announced he would create the commission. Riley says its members will not just study the region's problems. Instead, he says the group will begin providing solutions. State Senator Hank Sanders and state Treasurer Kay Ivey will lead the commission, which will consist of several subcommittees.