Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Politics & Government
Thu July 24, 2014
Rev. Al Sharpton to Visit Birmingham Next Week
Birmingham city officials say the Rev. Al Sharpton is planning a trip to Birmingham to help open a local chapter of the organization he heads.
Al.com reports that Sharpton, president of the New York-based National Action Network, will be in town July 30 for the grand opening of the network's local chapter headquarters.
Sheila Tyson, president of the organization's Birmingham chapter, said the headquarters on First Avenue North is being spruced up and will be ready for Sharpton's visit.
She said the grand opening is tied to Sharpton's push to commemorate the 1964 Freedom Summer activities, where civil rights leaders, activists, local citizens and others gathered in Mississippi for an extensive voter registration project.