Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Arts & Life
Thu February 28, 2013
Resolution Seeks Parks' Monument At Ala. Capitol
One day after a monument to civil rights icon Rosa Parks was unveiled at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, a resolution was introduced in the Alabama House for a similar monument to be placed at the state Capitol in Montgomery.
The resolution was introduced Thursday by Democratic Rep. Alvin Holmes of Montgomery. Parks helped spark the Civil Rights Movement when she was arrested in 1955 for refusing to give her seat on a Montgomery bus to a white man.
Holmes' resolution says Parks was a source of pride for Alabama residents.
Holmes' says the money for the monument could be raised if the state can't afford the approximate $200,000 cost. Holmes says he would donate $25,000. He says the monument would be similar to the one in Washington.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Rosa Parks' 100th