Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Politics & Government
Sun January 27, 2013
Rep. Brooks: NY Wants to Dictate Gun Laws for Ala.
(Information in the following story is from: The Huntsville Times, http://www.al.com/huntsville)
A congressman from Huntsville says he believes New York wants to dictate gun control policy for Alabama and the rest of the nation.
Republican U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks is joining other Alabama elected officials in speaking out against tightening the nation's gun laws. President Barack Obama is pushing several proposals including bans on assault rifles and high-capacity magazines for ammunition.
Al.com reports that Brooks said in an interview: "I'm not OK with the people in New York City dictating to the rest of the country a set of gun ownership principles that are contrary to the wishes of the vast majority of the people of Alabama."
The congressman says the Second Amendment is critical because armed citizens prevent the federal government "from even thinking about seizing dictatorial power."