Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Politics & Government
Sun January 27, 2013
Rep. Brooks: NY Wants to Dictate Gun Laws for Ala.
(Information in the following story is from: The Huntsville Times, http://www.al.com/huntsville)
A congressman from Huntsville says he believes New York wants to dictate gun control policy for Alabama and the rest of the nation.
Republican U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks is joining other Alabama elected officials in speaking out against tightening the nation's gun laws. President Barack Obama is pushing several proposals including bans on assault rifles and high-capacity magazines for ammunition.
Al.com reports that Brooks said in an interview: "I'm not OK with the people in New York City dictating to the rest of the country a set of gun ownership principles that are contrary to the wishes of the vast majority of the people of Alabama."
The congressman says the Second Amendment is critical because armed citizens prevent the federal government "from even thinking about seizing dictatorial power."