Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu August 26, 2004
Prosecutors Keep Trying to Get Siegelman Judge to Withdraw
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Federal prosecutors are continuing their efforts to get a judge to withdraw from handling former Governor Don Siegelman's criminal case. Prosecutors have offered additional evidence that they say proves that Federal Judge U-W Clemon should step down. Clemon said last week when denying the original request that the government's arguments were unfounded. The government's motion to appeal was filed Wednesday and includes sealed evidence that's not available to the public. Prosecutors could turn to the 11th U-S Circuit Court of Appeals if Clemon denies this request. Meanwhile...the judge is now considering motions to dismiss fraud and conspiracy charges against Siegelman, his former aide Paul Hamrick and Tuscaloosa Doctor Phillip Bobo. Clemon has scheduled an October fourth trial in the case.