Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Downtown Montgomery Patrols
Sun July 7, 2013
Police Ramping Up Patrols In Downtown Montgomery
Montgomery Police say they're ramping up downtown patrols after complaints of underage drinking and other inappropriate conduct near the riverfront entertainment district.
Public Safety Director J. Christopher Murphy says officers will patrol the area on bicycles and marked patrol cars, and undercover officers will also canvass the area at night.
Montgomery City Council passed an ordinance last year to establish a downtown entertainment district and some say underage visitors have started bringing their own liquor and loitering in the area.
Mayor Todd Strange says authorities are enforcing rules against patrons walking through the entertainment district carrying glass containers and are working to ensure that the drinks visitors carry with them through the district are being legally purchased from within the area.