Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Wed July 17, 2013
Play About Bus Boycott to Premiere in Montgomery
A stage play inspired by the events of the Montgomery Bus Boycott will have its premiere on July 26 at the Montgomery Performing Arts Center.
The play was written, produced, directed and staged by faculty, staff and alumni of Alabama State University.
The play, "The Meeting at Mount Zion," is based on the writings and notes from a meeting of the Montgomery Improvement Association, the group led by the Rev. Martin Luther King which helped lead the boycott.
Tonea Stewart, dean of ASU's College of Visual and Performing Arts, said the play honors the people and places made famous by the boycott. Characters include boycott leaders King, Ralph Abernathy, E.D. Nixon and Rosa Parks, who sparked the boycott when she refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus.
Rosa Parks' 100th