Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue August 7, 2012
Petitions Seek To Remove Ala. Court Nominees
A Huntsville woman has filed petitions with Alabama's Democratic and Republican parties asking them to disqualify several candidates for the Alabama Supreme Court. Sherry Broyles says the Democratic Party should disqualify its nominee for chief justice, Harry Lyon, for not filing monthly campaign finance reports as required by a new law enacted by the Legislature. Lyon calls the complaint bogus and says he hasn't raised enough money to file. Party Chairman Mark Kennedy says he will seriously review the matter. Broyles asked Republican Party Chairman Bill Armistead to disqualify incumbent Justices Lyn Stuart, Glenn Murdock and Jim Main for not filing all the required reports. Armistead says the candidates did file monthly reports and they didn't have to file any more frequently because they didn't have opposition Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.