Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Mon April 29, 2013
Obama To Fill Transportation Chief Slot
Originally published on Mon April 29, 2013 7:00 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
And today, President Obama plans to nominate a new secretary of transportation. Anthony Fox is the mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina.
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
He's 41 years old and, if confirmed by the Senate, Fox would replace Ray LaHood, the Illinois Republican who's done the job up to now.
MONTAGNE: Anthony Fox does not have a transportation background. He did oversee numerous improvements in infrastructure during his nearly four years as mayor. He's also African-American and his nomination comes at a time when the president's second-term Cabinet is being criticized as less diverse than his first. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.