Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Mon April 29, 2013
Obama To Fill Transportation Chief Slot
Originally published on Mon April 29, 2013 7:00 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
And today, President Obama plans to nominate a new secretary of transportation. Anthony Fox is the mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina.
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
He's 41 years old and, if confirmed by the Senate, Fox would replace Ray LaHood, the Illinois Republican who's done the job up to now.
MONTAGNE: Anthony Fox does not have a transportation background. He did oversee numerous improvements in infrastructure during his nearly four years as mayor. He's also African-American and his nomination comes at a time when the president's second-term Cabinet is being criticized as less diverse than his first. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.