Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue August 17, 2004
No Alabama Power Crews in Florida
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – There are no Alabama Power crews in Florida helping restore electricity. The company did not send its line crews because it's involved in negotiations over a new labor contract. It expired Sunday night and Alabama Power is negotiating a new deal with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. The union has already authorized a vote to strike if that's necessary. Alabama Power spokesperson Jan Ellis says the union has promised to give at least two days' notice if there will be a strike. She says considering the circumstances, utility officials believed sending workers to Florida would not be a good idea.