Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Alabama Governor Robert Bentley releases statement on gay marriage ruling
- Granade Clarifies Ruling, Birmingham to Remove Confederate Monument
Wed September 10, 2003
New Ten Commandments Display at Capitol
By Associated Press
Mongtomery, AL – A Ten Commandments display put together by Governor Bob Riley opened in an exhibit room at the Capitol. The plaque was praised by some church leaders who support displays of the commandments in government buildings.
Riley had the display built after supporters of a Ten Commandments monument that was removed from the state judicial building presented him with a plaque bearing the commandments last week.
Riley's display at the Capitol included the Ten Commandments among other historical documents. Chief Justice Roy Moore, who was suspended for refusing to comply with a federal court order to remove his commandments monument, says a display like Riley's was unacceptable.