Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Thu October 21, 2004
New Study Says Alabama Has Nationwide Highest Percentage of Obese People
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – A new study says Alabama is losing the battle of the bulge. The study says Alabama has the highest percentage of overweight people in the nation. The figures show more than 28 percent of Alabamians are obese...and 13 percent of the state's high school students are overweight as well. Study author Shelly Hearne says obesity will likely overtake tobacco as the leading preventable health problem and could soon become the number one killer in America. She says her group plans to work with state officials to develop proactive government programs to help battle the so-called crisis.