Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center
Thu August 29, 2013
New Cultural Arts Center Opens in Tuscaloosa
A new cultural arts center is opening in Tuscaloosa.
The Tuscaloosa News reports (http://bit.ly/14aMh9o) that the Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center will serve as the area's newest home for arts, artists and arts lovers.
The center was opening Thursday, on the anniversary of the birthday of its namesake. Dinah Washington was a legendary blues singer who was born in Tuscaloosa.
The converted Allen and Jemison building at Seventh Street and Greensboro Avenue in downtown Tuscaloosa is using 120,000 square feet crafted into a pair of airy exhibit spaces, a black-box theater, grand hall, catering areas and office spaces.
The center is managed by the Arts Council of Tuscaloosa, the umbrella organization that also runs the Bama Theatre on the other corner of that Greensboro block.
Information from: The Tuscaloosa News, http://www.tuscaloosanews.com