Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon January 3, 2005
More Die in Holiday Accidents Than Expected
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – At least 16 people died in traffic accidents during the four day New Year's Holiday travel period. Alabama State Troopers report fatalities in the following counties -- Elmore, Bullock, Walker, Limestone, Pickens, DeKalb, Covington, Shelby, Monroe, Madison, Cherokee and Winston counties. The number is more than Department of Public Safety estimates. Authorities guessed 13 people would die in roadway accidents during the holiday weekend. The 78 hour travel period began at six P-M Thursday and ended at midnight Sunday.