Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon October 18, 2004
More Alabama Soldiers Head Overseas
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Soldiers assigned to three Alabama Army National Guard units are heading overseas for assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan. Departure ceremonies were held over the weekend for 250 soldiers. 60 personnel from the 278th Chemical Battalion were given a send-off Sunday at the Oneonta National Guard armory. 50 soldiers from the 1993rd Personnel Service Detachment also were recognized at Fort Rufus W. Shepherd armory near Dannelly Field in Montgomery. Meanwhile...family and friends said a tearful goodbye Saturday to 140 members of the 440th Chemical Company at armories in Vincent and Clanton. A guard spokesman says the soldiers will all undergo additional training before they deploy.