Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Mon October 18, 2004
More Alabama Soldiers Head Overseas
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Soldiers assigned to three Alabama Army National Guard units are heading overseas for assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan. Departure ceremonies were held over the weekend for 250 soldiers. 60 personnel from the 278th Chemical Battalion were given a send-off Sunday at the Oneonta National Guard armory. 50 soldiers from the 1993rd Personnel Service Detachment also were recognized at Fort Rufus W. Shepherd armory near Dannelly Field in Montgomery. Meanwhile...family and friends said a tearful goodbye Saturday to 140 members of the 440th Chemical Company at armories in Vincent and Clanton. A guard spokesman says the soldiers will all undergo additional training before they deploy.