Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Sun October 7, 2012
Moore Says Same-Sex Marriage Will Be Nation's Downfall
Alabama Supreme Court candidate Roy Moore says same-sex marriage will lead to the "ultimate destruction" of America.
The Republican nominee for chief justice made his comments during a Tea Party rally in Fort Payne on Saturday.
Moore says same-sex marriage will lead to the nation's demise because it attacks the nation's foundation. Moore says the Democratic national platform is divisive for supporting same-sex rights.
Moore's Democratic opponent for chief justice, Jefferson County Circuit Judge Robert Vance, says same-sex marriage isn't an issue in Alabama.
He says that's because the state has a constitutional amendment prohibiting such unions.
Moore is trying to reclaim the chief justice position he lost for refusing to follow a court order to remove a Ten Commandments monument from Alabama's main judicial building.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
Politics & Government