Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Montgomery Area Transit System
Thu April 11, 2013
Montgomery Transit Workers Threaten to Strike
Unionized bus drivers and mechanics with the Montgomery Area Transit System are threatening to go on strike.
The Montgomery Advertiser reports (http://on.mgmadv.com/12LGxXJ) that wages and insurance costs are key issues in the dispute.
The workers, who are part of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 765, are taking action against First Transit, a company contracted by the city of Montgomery to operate the bus system, which is also known as MATS.
Union officials say they're awaiting an investigation by the National Labor Relations Board before determining their next steps.
Curtis Duncan, president of Local 765, said when the strike will take place -- or even if it will take place -- depends on how long it takes the NLRB to complete its investigation and whether the company agrees to negotiate.
Information from: Montgomery Advertiser, http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com