Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu July 24, 2014
Montgomery Base Could House Immigrant Children
Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery could house immigrant children.
A spokeswoman for Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley says the federal government has notified the governor that Maxwell is being considered. Communications Director Jennifer Ardis says the governor's chief of staff got a call from the Federal Emergency Management Agency late Wednesday afternoon. She said it's not known how many children could be placed or how soon they might be placed
A spokesman for the Secretary of Defense says the Department of Health and Human Services has to assess whether the base could house children, and that hasn't been done yet.
Bentley joined five other governors in sending a letter to the president on Tuesday. They expressed concerns that states will end up with costs for public school and other services.
Business & Education