Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Science & Health
Thu February 7, 2013
Mobile Science Center Struggles to Stay Afloat
The president of the board that oversees a science center in Mobile says the facility is struggling just to keep its doors open.
Exploreum Board of Trustees President David Trent said donations are down.
WALA-TV reports (http://bit.ly/X6wCHe) that the science center brought in a little more than $3 million in 2009 -- but the cost to keep it running was more than $4 million.
The nonprofit's tax filings show that the trend continued in 2010. Revenue was reported at $3.3 million while expenses rose to $4.7 million. That amounted to a $1.4 million loss.
Officials said the Exploreum has made cuts -- including positions and salaries -- to improve its financial position. They say the center's finances have improved recently.
Information from: WALA-TV, http://www.fox10tv.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.