Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Wed September 10, 2003
Mobile Government Makes Cuts
By Associated Press
Mobile, AL – The Mobile City Council has approved a budget that cuts 2-point-8-6 (M) million dollars -- including from travel and public transit departments, and eliminates dozens of positions.
Mayor Mike Dow says he may veto the new, 160 (M) million dollar budget, which was approved on a 4-to-3 vote last night. The General Fund budget for the 2003-2004 fiscal year beginning October 1st includes a 7 percent reduction in positions in 20 departments. It will mean cutting 35 to 50 jobs over four months, saving 612 thousand and 295 dollars.
The budget includes a ten percent reduction in certain operational expenses