Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Wed September 10, 2003
Mobile Government Makes Cuts
By Associated Press
Mobile, AL – The Mobile City Council has approved a budget that cuts 2-point-8-6 (M) million dollars -- including from travel and public transit departments, and eliminates dozens of positions.
Mayor Mike Dow says he may veto the new, 160 (M) million dollar budget, which was approved on a 4-to-3 vote last night. The General Fund budget for the 2003-2004 fiscal year beginning October 1st includes a 7 percent reduction in positions in 20 departments. It will mean cutting 35 to 50 jobs over four months, saving 612 thousand and 295 dollars.
The budget includes a ten percent reduction in certain operational expenses