Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Wed September 10, 2003
Mobile Government Makes Cuts
By Associated Press
Mobile, AL – The Mobile City Council has approved a budget that cuts 2-point-8-6 (M) million dollars -- including from travel and public transit departments, and eliminates dozens of positions.
Mayor Mike Dow says he may veto the new, 160 (M) million dollar budget, which was approved on a 4-to-3 vote last night. The General Fund budget for the 2003-2004 fiscal year beginning October 1st includes a 7 percent reduction in positions in 20 departments. It will mean cutting 35 to 50 jobs over four months, saving 612 thousand and 295 dollars.
The budget includes a ten percent reduction in certain operational expenses