Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue January 25, 2005
Mobile Councilors Say Mayor Won't Run Again
By Alabama Public Radio
Mobile, AL – Mobile City Council President Reggie Copeland says Mayor Mike Dow will not run for a fifth term. Copeland says Dow has told him several times that he will not seek re-election. City Councilor Clinton Johnson also says Dow has not expressed interest in running again. Dow has been the mayor of Mobile since 1989. His chief of staff refused to comment on the situation Monday but says the mayor will make an announcement "reasonably soon" about whether or not he'll run. The city elections are scheduled for August. Copeland says he believes Dow is burned out after serving the city for more than 15 years. He says he also believes the mayor is interested in going back into business with his brother-in-law. Jim Busby is president of CentraLite Systems. That Mobile-based company manufactures lighting control and home automation systems.