Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Tue May 28, 2013
Memorial Day turns deadly in Alabama
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Alabama State Troopers investigated two deadly crashes in the state during the Memorial Day holiday period. The holiday period is considered the 78 hours between 6 p.m. Friday and midnight Monday. The figure only reflects trooper-investigated traffic fatalities. A final statewide tally will be computed as other law enforcement agencies report their weekend statistics. Authorities say both of this weekend's trooper-investigated fatal crashes occurred on Saturday. Authorities said both involved motorcycles, and helmets were used by the people involved. In Blount County, 36-year-old Brandy Vance of Hanceville died after the motorcycle she was riding on crashed along County Road 7 north of Hayden. The second death occurred in Cleburne County.