Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Politics & Government
Sat July 27, 2013
Meeting of Southern Lawmakers Set for Mobile
The annual meeting of theSouthern Legislative Conference kicks off Saturday in Mobile.
AL.com reports (http://bit.ly/13jEDsu ) the four-day conference includes state lawmakers from across the South and is expected to draw more than 1,000 people to the Arthur R. Outlaw Mobile Convention Center. Policy discussions on economic development, agriculture, energy and other issues are planned.
Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard is chairman of the Atlanta-based organization, which includes the presiding officers and key legislators from 15 southern states.
Hubbard says the bipartisan event could have a $1.8 million impact on the local economy.
Founded in 1947, the Southern Legislative Conference is the largest of four regional legislative groups operating under the Council of State Governments.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.